The earthquake on Monday evening was centered on the other side of the island, but I did feel it as we were having dinner at a friend's house. The familiar rattle made me jump a little, but since I was in new place, I thought it was just maybe someone jumping off a couch upstairs or something -- I easily wrote it off.
As for Hurricane Flossie, well, the most damage we sustained was to my sanity and to the school calendar. No school for Tuesday or Wednesday since just where Flossie intended to go was too uncertain. After Katerina, no one wants to be responsible for not taking hurricanes seriously enough. But Tuesday night, as the projections changed, this was our sunset:
But then, Wednesday afternoon, a major earthquake hit Peru. That started a tsunami alert. It was cancelled about 5pm, which we were very grateful for, since a tsunami could wipe out Shan's job pretty fast! So today, the kids are back to school for a VERY short week (tomorrow is our State Admissions holiday!).
By the way, Teagan is predicting a meteor attack on his high school followed by a declaration of war on the Big Island by some alien force. Maybe the volcano will erupt more dramatically, too. What week would be complete without those?!?!?!?!
We really are very grateful that our island escaped the worst that any of these adventures could have brought. Since I have lived here, this was the biggest Hurricane alert, but we have had other tsunami alerts and bigger earthquakes. Watching the problems in Texas today, I guess everywhere has its hazards -- just not usually so many different, unrelated ones in one week!
On a much lighter note, the other day we were all in our van (named Umi) headed for town. Tanner was singing and singing (kind of making up his own song, I think, since no one knew WHAT he was singing). After several minutes, he was bugging just about everyone. Taggart told him, "Tanner, stop. You're bugging everybody!!" To which Tanner said (with a much more mature tone to his voice than I would have liked), "What?! I'm not bugging ME!!!" Gotta love it!
2 comments:
Glad you made it through all the calamities. I love Tanner's singing comment. What fun to have the kids growing up...so cute!
Wow! Teagan is quite the thinker, I hope none of his predictions come true! And Tanner, that line is brilliant, why have I never thought of that one? There are so many times I could've used that! I love the things your boys say!
Post a Comment