Monday, January 12, 2009

Bishop Shan!

Yesterday, Shan was sustained as our ward's Bishop! Our previous bishop moved to the mainland four weeks ago, so the ward has been speculation central, with many people declaring Shan to be the bishop for all these weeks. Now he has officially been sustained -- without that scene from 'Mobsters and Mormons' where the ward doesn't sustain the new bishop! The funniest thing was that there was a storm outside, so when the stake president announced Shan's name and asked for the sustaining vote, there was a ROLL OF THUNDER!!! What do you think that means?!?!?!? Laugh or panic?!

Shan will do a great job. He kept the two counselors from the previous bishopric, hoping to get a good running start and not upheave the ward too much. He has long thought that our ward has great people in key positions and that just a tweak here and there could make things even better. I know that he really loves the youth and greatly desires being familiar with them and their lives.

Shan's setting apart was so wonderful and emotional for me. I knew someday this would come and that this has been part of why we are supposed to be in Hawaii. Now the adventure begins!

And it's nice to not have to redirect conversations anymore!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

After just getting off the phone with you, I'm concerned. It appears you were struck dumb as well. Thunder I can shrug off, but this new development leaves me stunned. ;)

Congrats, Shan! As Jeff Sessions put it, "These are sweet times."

grandkrumps said...

We have watched with great interest as Shan has been prepared for this role. What a spectacular Bishop he will be, too--I can picture him Shepherding his youth! And he has the beginnings of a tremendous youth program right within the walls of his own home. Congratulations and Prayers to you all. (Mother of the Ward, HUH??? You are qualified for that role, too, Traci!)

Kelli said...

I haven't been on your blog in so long... Holy Cow Bishop!!!! Good luck to your family. I think you suspected that might happen for a few years now, right? So the Aleys moved huh? I heard the Adams and the Greys did as well.