Monday, November 03, 2008

October Break for Teag & Talm

Sydni & Staci wait to see their brothers!!Can you see Taggart behind them? Peek-a-boo!
On our October break, Teagan and Talmage went on a Boy Scout High Adventure. This is the Hawaiian voyaging canoe, the Makali'i.

It takes a few pictures to get an idea of this vessel -- apparently it is all held together by something like 42 miles of rope (no nails).
And the rudder (I think -- I have NO knowledge of anything nautical and T1 & T2 are at school, so I may have to post corrections later!)
Talmage gives a little wave -- he got really seasick his first day on board, but then he listened to his leaders, did what they said, and finally got his sea legs!
Teagan got all harnessed in and then walked on the outside of the boat to secure something
Talmage displays his 50 miler afloat patch (the entire floating mileage was 52.4)/
Teagan went to sleep the night before with wet hair -- I had originally thought he was just windblown, but not the case.
They had a great 5 day ocean adventure and learned lots about the ancient cultures here as well. They learned one of the versions of the Haka dance and came back very tan!

2 comments:

grandkrumps said...

What a fantastic adventure for those two spectacular young men. I had to look really hard to see Talmage behind those sunglasses. But finally, with a squint and a sideward angle, I could make it look like him in my head. Congratulations to you both for surviving 50 miles afloat. I'l love to know the tricks for getting over being seasick. I had a few moments of YUK on our huge cruise ship (especially in the cabin--bathroom was the WORST). So do you have some pointers for your old grandma? Thanks guys! Grandma PenGwen

marci said...

I want to learn the Haka. Maybe we need the boys to teach us at the family reunion!